The country is slowly becoming more like a “rainbow,” according to a new book by Paul Taylor and Pew Research called “The Next America”.
These groups are mixed in their heritage.
- Hispanic people are mixed by definition. Hispanic is not a race and Latin American countries have not had anti-miscegenation laws like the U.S. Most Latinos are part Amerindian mixed with some part(s) Spanish / Portuguese / Black.
- Black people have been mixing with others since before the founding of the U.S., sometimes by choice and sometimes by force (enslavement rape).
- Asian people have been mixing with others in the U.S. since anti-miscegenation laws have been abolished, and also before anti-miscegenation laws were in place.
- Other people includes Native American (1%) and Mixed people.
- Native American people are often of mixed heritage. The U.S. government made it their policy to assimilate Native American’s into U.S. cities.
- White people are often mixed with ‘5 shades of White’, or they are White Latino, or they are ‘One drop’ of color / ‘passing as White’, aka 1/16th or 1/32th of color. White is not counted as White when mixed with people of color, which accounts for the decline in White numbers over time. The other reason the numbers for White drop is because Europeans no longer immigrate to the U.S. at any where near the same rate of other groups. European countries tend to provide good universal health care and tend to have lower gun violence. Police do not routinely carry guns on their person in Britain, Ireland, Iceland, Norway, New Zealand and India. In Norway officers carry arms in their cars but not on their person.
Intermarriage among people of different races is increasingly common. In 1980, just 7% of all marriages in the U.S. were between spouses of a different race or ethnicity. In 2010, that share has doubled to 15% of all new marriages in the U.S. Hispanics (26%) and Asians (28%) were most likely to “marry out,” compared with 9% of whites and 17% of blacks. – Pew Research
If two people of mixed heritage marry, does Pew Research count that as marrying out / intermarriage?
There is no Mixed American Life without pluralism. There is no pluralism without (im)migration.
The 1964 Civil Rights act, pushed by Dr. Martin Luther King’s efforts, pushed change to U.S. immigration policy so that quotas are no longer based on race. This explains why the graph above shows population diversity quickly expand after 1964.
Title II of the 1964 Civil Rights act outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion or national origin.
The Nation Origins Formula restricted immigration on the basis of existing proportions of U.S. population, severely restricting immigration of people who were not already represented in the current U.S. ethnic groups of the time.
Current immigration law now favors the highly educated. Now U.S. immigration laws are based on class instead of race.
- There are 35 categories of migrant visas
- For refugees: Victim of Criminal Activity
- There are 17 categories of immigrant visas
- Immediate Relative & Family Sponsored (6)
- Employer Sponsored – Employment (11)
Genocide and Population Control
- Amerindians used to make up 100% of the Americas. Now the U.S. is only 1% Native American.
- Black population is expected to grow by only 1% in 50 years. Mass-incarceration and the war on drugs (war on people) is removing Black people during the prime of their life, the time when most people are starting families. And U.S. police are killing Black people at the rate of 1 every 26 hours in 2015, and U.S. police and vigilantes killed a Black person at the rate of 1 every 28 hours in 2012. Not to mention historic lynchings.
- Asians were murdered by White people during the gold rush and also excluded from entering the U.S. between 1882 and 1965.
- Latinos were lynched by White people during the gold rush, and in the South West between 1846 to 1925. Latino communities are also targeted by the war on drugs (war on people), and in-turn also targeted by mass-incarceration.
- Murdered by police Amerindian, Black, and Latino people are murdered by police more than other groups